Education & Employment Services!
Training and Resources website
Our mission is to help you do the following:
- Get a job
- Keep a job
Through Compassion, Excellence, and Collaboration. Please see our main home page for more details.
- We now have a new
(Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment) in-house website available for authorized staff and students that provides an excellent way for teachers (staff) to provide online training to students.
- There is a 5-Minute Introduction to Moodle on YouTube to help you to become familiar with moodle.
- All offices are closed to the public, except by appointment only, until further notice. Thank you for your understanding!
- Anchorage Library patrons can check out MiFi devices for free temporary internet access and Chromebooks for up to 14 days at a time. Note: There is currently a wait time of about a month (depending on when borrowers return these devices). Therefore, renewal is not available for these devices at this time. Those wishing to check out a MiFi device or a Chromebook will need a valid MoA Library card. Those who check out a MiFi device or a Chromebook will receive a notification when it becomes available.
- Parents who cannot afford internet access should apply for free internet access through their children's schools. Please see Anchorage School District's FAQ on free internet access for more information.
- Starting on Friday, 01 October 2021, a REAL ID or another acceptable ID will be required for entering Federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and boarding commercial aircraft. Please go to the DMV's website for more details.
- Nine Star offices will be closed for Labor Day on Monday, 06 September 2021.
- There will be Practical Positive Parenting Classes & Workshops that start on Wednesday, 25 August 2021. Please refer to The Practical Positive Parenting Flyer for more details.
- There are COVID-19 testing sites in Alaska listed on the State of Alaska Department of Health Coronavirus Response website.
- Covid-19 vaccines are now available to all Alaska residents who are at least 12 years old. However, the eligibility requirements are subject to change. Please refer to the State of Alaska Covid Vaccines eligibility website for updates.
- All future live classes will be held via Zoom unless your instructor says otherwise. Please note that all future in-person courses will be on hold until further notice. If you are not familiar with Zoom, we recommend watching a 3-minute introduction to Zoom for students. While the video suggests that you use a regular desktop or laptop with a wired (high-speed) internet connection, you can use a wireless connection or your mobile phone, so long as you can maintain a 1 Megabit per second connection or higher. Mobile devices with 4G or higher service will suffice.
- Many resources require good passwords. Therefore, we recommend that you check out my recommendations for good passwords to protect you and the computers you use!
- Use AES Crypt (free of charge) or similar software to encrypt files with sensitive files you wish to send through unsecured means. However, for Nine Star correspondence, please follow the instructions that your Work Services Specialist (WSS), instructor, or other staff member provides you for sending files with sensitive information to them. - Thank you!
The following blank calendars are available for viewing:
- 2020 Calendar
- 2021 Calendar
- 2022 Calendar
- 2023 Calendar
- 2024 Calendar - from another website
- All other Calendars on the Gregorian system - from another website
We provided links to the following resources to help you get established in a meaningful career.
| Health Care:
- Alaska Housing Finance Corporation (AHFC) -
- Alaska Housing Locator
- Aleutian Housing Authority
- Anchorage Rescue Mission - Housing Resources - for immediate needs
- Brother Francis Shelter - for immediate needs
- Century 21 (suitable for buying or selling a home)
- Cook Inlet Housing Authority
- Craig's List - Anchorage (similar to classified ads) - Beware of grandiose claims or posts that do not provide sufficient information for making good choices.
- Family Promise Mat-Su (Wasilla, AK)
- Find an apartment
- Hostel World - Anchorage
- HUD - Apartment Search - Alaska
- NeighborWorks Alaska
- Nodel Parks mobile home and trailer parks with rent to own options
- Penland Park mobile home and trailer park with rent to own options
- Remax Realty (good for buying or selling a home)
- Those wishing to get housing will need to fill out the RurAL CAP Affordable Housing Rental Application
- Those wishing to stay in Safe Harbor will also need to fill out RurAL CAP's Schedule M
- Those wishing to remain in 325 E 3rd Avenue, Muldoon Garden, 1255 E 11th Avenue, or Huntsman Circle will also need to fill out RurAL CAP's Schedule T
- Those wishing to stay in Karluk Manor, Sitka Place, 100 David Street, 400 North Lane Street, or in 3726 Peterkin Street will also need to fill out RurAL CAP's Schedule S
- Shiloh Housing (provides other social services too) - for immediate needs
- Weidner Properties
|Online Data Storage:|
|A.F.S. Intercultural Programs U.S.A.||
|Alaska Family Services||
|Alaska Health Fair||
|Alaska Legal Services||
|Alzheimer's Resource of Alaska||
|American Legion - Alaska Department||Congress chartered and incorporated the American Legion in 1919 as a patriotic veterans organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. The Department of Alaska stretches from the far north in Koyukuk, throughout the State of Alaska, and includes the Pacific District of Guam and Taiwan. That’s a lot of ground to cover! The following resources are available on this website:
|Anchorage Coalition to End Homelessness (ACEH)||ACEH provides dynamic Leadership to unite Anchorage in making homelessness rare, brief, and one-time. ACEH believes that every Alaskan deserves a roof over their head, a place to put down anchor and feel safe with their loved ones. ACEH values |
|Abused Women's Aid In Crisis (AWAIC)||
|Boys and Girls Clubs of Alaska||→ Clubhouses, Child Development Center, Athletics Programs for children|
|Bridge Builders of Alaska||→ Celebrating different cultures and diversity, hosting many community events|
|Camp Fire of Alaska||
|Catholic Social Services of Alaska (CSS-Alaska)||Provides the following services:|
|Food Bank of Alaska||They
|Genesis Recovery Services||Specializes in substance abuse counseling from a psychological perspective|
|Habitat for Humanity||They provide the following:
|Hope - Downtown Soup Kitchen||They
|MyHouse - MatSu||Their mission is to "end homelessness." They offer the following:
These services are a hand up, but not a hand out. Clients will be required to agree to family self-sufficiency plans, and they will have to work towards these plans with support from staff to gain forward progress.
|National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)||They
|Nine Star Education & Employment Services||They
|Rent Assistance||provides a directory of agencies that offer rental assistance to residents. This website allows you to do the following:
|Rural Alaska Community Action Program, Inc (RuralCAP)||Description
|Standing Together Against Rape of Alaska (STAR)||They
|Stone Soup Group||They
|The ARC of Anchorage||They
|United Way of Anchorage||They
|Volunteers of America||They
|Youth Exchange and Study (YES)||They work with the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study Abroad (YES Abroad) program and provide competitive merit-based scholarships for U.S. citizens in secondary school (age 15-18½) to study for one academic year in select countries of strategic importance.|
- ACS White Pages
- Alaska CourtView
- Alaska Department of Labor - Research and Analysis
- Alaska Digital Library (some content requires a sign in)
- Alaska State Legislature - Search State bills and related items.
- Anchorage Public Library - MiFi devices are available for check out for up to 14 days
- Craig's List - Anchorage/Mat-Su
- FactCheck news, myth, and shared communications fact verification
- FEMA Library
- FindLaw is for legal professionals - U.S. codes and statutes.
- Google, including Google Earth
- Hoopla (borrow digital media with your library card)
- Inciweb - National Wildfire Coordinating Group
- Inflation Calculator
- Mayo Clinic
- Municipal Code of Ordinances
- National Weather Service - Anchorage Forecast Center
- PubChem medical and pharmaceutical information
- Skeptoid fringe, myth, and everyday communications fact verification
- Snopes news and common communications fact verification
- The Council and Economic Research (C2ER) cost of living analysis
- The State of Alaska, Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development, Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing (CBPL) - Search and Database Download Information
- The State of Alaska, Department of Labor and Workforce Development - Research and Analysis
- The State of Alaska Legislative Document - Folio Infobase
- Trusted Source website reputation tool
- Yahoo Search
Links to our main training sites come with instructions from our staff via email to eligible job seekers.
- 10-Key Tutor and other career development resources from Mr. Kent
- ABCya (wholesome educational activities for kids
- ACT Career Ready training (recommended training for WorkKeys Tests)
- Adult Learning Center in Anchorage, Alaska
- Alaska Distance Learning - Mary Rydesky's classes
- Alaska CNA Program
- Alaska Works
- Alison - Please follow the instructions that your WSS or your Job Developer, or your CDC/TaST Mentor gave you to get credit for your participation on this site.
- American Heart & Lung Association
- American Red Cross Training Online (we recommend using Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge)
- Anchorage School District
- Nuggets ( require a subscription )
- Cook Inlet Tribal Council Incorporated (CITCI) Healthcare Training
- College Scholarships and grans
- CompTIA Security+ Exam Preparation Resources
- Devry University
- Free Online GED Classes
- FDIC - MoneySmart
- GCF Learn Free - Please follow the instructions that your WSS or your Job Developer, or your CDC/TaST Mentor gave you to get credit for your participation on this site.
- How2pass Practice Exams ( requires a subscription )
- Free One-on-OneTutoring
- Kahoot( used in class )
- Kaplan IT Training (formerly Transcender [ requires a subscription or product purchase ])
- Learn to type for free (typing club)!
- Learning Express Library (requires your MOA Library card)
- Lynda ( requires a subscription )
- Lynda via Anchorage Public Library Card
- MeasureUp ( requires a subscription or product purchase )
- Microsoft Digital Literacy Curriculum ( New - under construction)
- Microsoft Digital Literacy Curriculum ( Old)
- Microsoft Office Specialist [MOS] 2016 Study Guide - Exam 77-725 - Microsoft Word - by Joan Lambert
- Microsoft Office Specialist [MOS] 2016 Study Guide - Exam 77-727 - Microsoft Excel - by Joan Lambert
- MoneySmart - Financial Literacy training
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC)
- Multnomah University ( Offers accredited undergraduate and graduate-level courses and degrees)
- Mouse Tutorial by Palm Beach Library
- Municipality of Anchorage Food Handlers Card
- National Seminars Training Sign In ( requires a subscription, but this website is Not secure [use at your own risk ])
- Northern Industrial Training (NIT) - Vocational Training
- Professor Teaches Web ( requires a subscription )
- ProLiteracy Programs and Projects
- State of Alaska DMV - Practice Written Test
- Support Union - Free Practice Tests for the CDL
- TABE Practice Tests - Free
- Toast Masters (Great for networking and practicing English speaking)
- Tuition Funding Sources This is an excellent site for finding sources to fund your education costs.
- University of Alaska Anchorage - Main website (Offers accredited undergraduate and graduate-level courses and degrees)
- WinCertification- MOS- Word Training (requires Tony Diaz to set up this training)
Please be considerate of other users.
Please be considerate of other users.